Saturday, December 29, 2012

Merry Christmas!!!

I can't believe that Christmas Day has already come and gone.  Despite having to work Christmas Eve and Day in the park I count myself as one very lucky girl this holiday season.  And as the new year approaches, I have many things to be thankful for:

1.  My family and friends back in the states who supported me when I made this crazy decision to join the Peace Corps and head to Mexico.  Those same family and friends who send me letters, emails, messages, and even packages so that I still feel like I am a part of their everyday lives.

2.  My new families here in Mexico, both my host family from Queretaro and my host family here in Puebla.  Both of these families welcomed me with open arms, immediately letting me know I was a part of their family.  In fact, I spent Christmas Eve here with my host family sharing their dinner, conversation, and bottle of tequila.

3.  My Peace Corps family, man it's nice to know there are people going through or who have already gone through the same things that I can talk with about my frustrations.

4.  While working Christmas Eve in the park was not ideal (mainly because we had 8 visitors all day), the good part about working that day is that one of my fellow volunteers, Emilie, who was in town for Christmas came to hang out for the day.  Her visit and our chats reminded me of how lucky I am to have been placed in Flor del Bosque.  The people here are really nice and have been really helpful and understanding (especially with my Spanish).  In fact, when my counterpart realized that the apartment Peace Corps had already approved might be falling through he immediately talked to a couple folks about helping me look for a place and everyone is now actively helping me search for a new place to live.

5.  And finally my Spanish is getting better and better everyday!!!!  I actually surprised myself Christmas Day by answering visitors questions instead of waiting for someone else to answer them for me.  While I am nowhere near fluent (yet?!), I am feeling more and more confident and am ready to really get started working.

I hope everyone has had a Merry Christmas and wish y'all a Happy New Year!

P.S.  Not only is my Spanish speaking improving, but I am learning lots of new words almost everyday.  My newest favorite word is TABLE that's right my new favorite "spanish" word is really an english word.  However, TABLE isn't referring to the piece of furniture, but rather is short for table dance and is a stripclub.  So if you are ever in puebla, mexico and someone asks if you'd like to go the table, remember they aren't referring to the piece of furniture, but instead are asking if you'd like to go to a strip club.  And of course your response should be, Hombres or mujeres?  (men or women?)

1 comment:

  1. In Canada strippers are known as peelers... Just in case you need to know the lingo there!

    ReplyDelete